Sunday, August 16, 2009

Muse on the road





The Muse has finally seen the road. Today was shakedown day. I made a lot of adjustments on the 50 mile maiden voyage. I have to thank Spokes Etc. in Ashburn for use of a stand and the Hot Dog. After 18 years of riding Mountain Bikes, the road bike is a new experience for me. The stretched out riding position and Dura-Ace brakes and shifter will take some time to adjust to.

The Dura-Ace 7900 group was chosen for many reasons. First, a compact crank is available for the first time with Dura-Ace. The 50/34 gearing has worked great on the Specialized. Also, a 11-28 rear cassette is offered, this setup should help me climb the 22% grade of "The Wall" in East Jordon Mi. The groupo looks great with the Seven titanium frame, and has a futuristic look. the future of Shimano at least.

The front Arkle bag works very well with the new internal mounting of the cables on the Dura-Ace 7900 shifters. The stem mount Cateye V2 gives me max hand positions. A clean and simple look is what I was after with the Muse.

I am going to change a few things before Dalmac. The road pedals and shoes are an issue for me. The new SIDI's are uncomfortable and walking on the cleat feels like two ice cubes are under my shoe (one ice cube would be acceptable). Walking and stopping are unsafe at any speed. I was also having issues clipping into the Crank Brothers pedals. I started using clipless pedals 15 years ago, today it felt like it was yesterday. My carbon seatpost was slipping, because I had already installed carbon prep, I am worried that this will be a problem. I re-adjusted the seat clamp to the recommended 70 in lbs. I will monitor the situation.

My body is sore tonight, My neck hurts, back is tight, and my butt is tender. I was felling it at 30 miles when I made my first food stop. I may have to use my seat and shock post from the Specialized. I know Aaron is looking forward to my beloved cushioned seatpost.

It was great to see my year long project finished. I wasn't sure I could get it completed in time. I have to thank everyone who has helped me out. It means a lot to me getting this Muse rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment